Marked the place with a yellow pin. Put a match there to get some distance so the elastic thread has a place to lock.
On the back there’s another button so there’s a bit of counter surface.
The silk is pongé, a silk that doesn’t like to be sewn or pulled at. I tried to reinforce the whole waste band with a bias band.
Let’s hope this works.
The ultimate trick is to repeat this process one more time. I’m using double thread, I’ll now cut and knot and sew in threads. Then I’ll repeat the whole process, with another piece of double thread.
I learned this from Crazy Aunt Purl.
The fabric is handdyed pongé or pongee (for people who cannot find the ´). I believe it’s also called Habotai. a base layer for a skirt that’s match and mix. It has this silk layer and various other layers. Handdyed chiffon; felted wool on chiffon and stretchy mesh. It’s for a Spring Fairy combination.
Quite sewn by the seat of my pants.
I’ll show more soon. (and have hopes to finish the catch stitching on the Jacquard dress! Boy, did I learn my lesson there.)