pic by Ikat Bag. Go read the post, it’s truly excellent.
How I got to A NEW ARMHOLE.
Pinning the two side pieces together at the top of the sideseam, allowing them to pivot.
Alining them with a piece of rectangular paper, making sure that the grain lines run perfectly perpendicular. Secure with tape:
The resulting new armhole:
It’s more rotated forward than the original Burda armhole. The side seams are brought up higher, the whole is brought forward, with less curve at the back and with a shortened shoulder seam.
The idea is that the arm hole sits good and well against the body, it’s the sleeve that will do all the movement.
A NEW SLEEVE:
taking a piece of cord that matches the length of the armhole, 49 cm. That’s how long the upper curve of the sleeve must be. Not longer, not shorter.
I’m pleased to see it will bring the top of the shoulder cap down because a high shoulder cap might look stylish on a shirt but it’s meant for people who only keep their arms hanging down. Stylishly.
Boldly drawing the new shoulder cap. Freehand, based on the cord.
I went for width of sleeve of size 42, hoping to get more movement at the biceps. It didn’t. I could have gone with the 38 I originally cut and sewed. But then the cap would have come a tad higher too.
Notches were transferred too. I guessed that the top notch, indicating the shoulder seam, should remain in the same position. After attaching the sleeve I’m not so sure though. It was difficult fitting the sleeve in the armhole when insisting the top notch should be at the shoulderseam.
SEWING the NEW SLEEVE inside the Burda bodice.
I couldn’t change the armhole of the Crazy Cat Lady Blouse, that was cut from the Burda pattern with a 1,5 cm seam allowance. But I could change the sleeves because I had a bit of fabric left and could cut a new pair of sleeves from it. The cats wouldn’t sit right side up but I prefer wonky cats over restriction of movement at the arms.
I took out the wrong sleeves and put them aside. They’re back in the fabric stash.
For the new sleeves I first traced the sewing line that fitted the armhole best, in orange thread:
Put in the first sleeve following these orange lines. Looks alright:
Still a bit restriction but better than the original sleeves:
Below is a comparison of both sleeves.
On the left the new sleeve, on the right still the original: straining around my arm. Even though, with the orange threaded stitch lines, the armhole is at a slightly better position than the Burda 6909 pattern prescribes:
Endresult for two new sleeves, after much difficulty putting in the second sleeve. (In the end I stitched it in by hand. It’s great how many times you can stitch and rip out this cotton fabric. It holds well.)
I lack the experience of easing in sleeves.
With another fabric I tried the whole new combination: new armhole, new sleeves.
The new armhole sat fantastic on my body!
When putting in the new sleeves I ran into trouble. The cap of the sleeve was bigger than the armhole. I thought I could work with this by making it less high, less curved. Because I had learned that the flatter it is, the more arm movement it gives.
This worked for one sleeve:
But with the second one I again had really difficulty easing it in. Changing the curve of the cap I followed a faulty line, now there’s a strange angle in there. The sleeve is not as comfortable as the other one. (But still better than Burda 6909).
I should probably take it out and resew it. And learn more about sleeves and about easing them in. Best would be to see someone doing it, watch some videos.