finished: gnome dress

Self drafted, with plenty of ease so it can be slipped on without a zipper and can be worn over winter underwear.

Made from sturdy rasberry coloured cotton canvas with a slight stretch. Still I cut the pattern pieces with about 0,5 cm extra width for wearing ease. This is too much. Should have done only at the side seams, not the princess seams. Or not so much. 0,5 cm at the side seams, 0,2 mm at the princess seams.

Accent fabric is a thin cotton with print of gnomes in vans:
gnome dress volkswagen van<
I've bought this combination years ago, to put together.

Lined it with cupro or Bremsilk which nearly cotton, I think?

Pockets in the sideseam. Lined with gnome fabric.

I put in some irregular knives pleats for walking ease:
gnome dress volkswagen van

I have been wanting to make this dress for years now. A block dress with the gnomes-in-vans down the middle. I didn’t know how to sew a square neckline though. With lining. And princess seams. I made muslins through the years but lacked the sewing skills to pull it off.

Now I did, thanks to my sewing lessons.

Regrettably I have not reinforced the centre panel enough, even though the gnome cotton is interfaced. I will adjust it. It also thought me I like firm fabrics, with not a lot of drape. Where shaping comes from the seams and pattern pieces. Will investigate that road further.

And the princess seams are a bit too pointy and roomy at the apex. Will resew that seam.

It sits really comfortably. The wearing ease makes it nice to wear, over maillot and long sleeves. So happy with the pockets!
Will use this pattern again. I have already amended it to a round neckline. Love a square neck though…. problem is the front panel cannot be a rectangle as it rises above my bust and needs to come in a bit. Shoulder straps move away from CF. They can’t be less wide because I like my back to be covered for the whole width. Ahh it’s a puzzle.

Love the bow at the back. It’s from Bleuet dress from Deer & Doe.

After these pictures I made some amendments.

  • the front panel collapses at the top. I have inserted fortifying rows of stitching in the lining and underlining.
  • made the curve at the apex (bust points) less curvy. I had room to spare there.
  • added topstitching at the front princess seams. They help tack down the seam allowance and make the seam sit pretty from the right side. Edge was treated with pinking scissors.
  • made the sideseams more curvy. But not too much so I still can put this dress over my head.

hand sewn dress
hand sewn dresshand sewn dress
hand sewn dress

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “finished: gnome dress

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s